Saturday, September 18, 2010

Songs of Heart Songs of Life



Its not that am from a musical family but music and songs has been part of my life..part of my growing up :). And some songs when I hear now brings in with me lots of memories and touches the heart in a way that at times it leaves some tears in eyes and a ache in heart. And some brings in memories that make you smile and make you feel glad that it did happen.

Actually even my engagement and wedding is also because of one song.
Actually the meeting of my life partner also was because of a song. There was a song in movie azhagi oliyile terivadhu devadhaiya....
And I just loved that song again a no reason love..And my husband then used to listen to this song. I was wondering why a telugu person is listening to this tamil song..and he said he loved this song so much for no reason. I was thrilled. And later I sent him a mail with the meaning of that song thinking that he could enjoy it more if he understood the meaning. Thats how it started and we ended up getting married.

Anywas going back to the flash back.
The first ever song I remember listening is to my uncles song. He used to sing me pullanguzhal koduttha moongilgale..a old cinema song which he used to sing for me as a lullaby.

My mom used to sing some songs like chinna pappa, kuzhandaiyum deivamum apart from other devotional songs for me. She used to sing for me till I sleep infact when I went to India for my pregnancy I asked her to sing me the same songs so that the baby in me can listen to them and now I sing the same songs for my darling princess.

And my dad used to sing lots and lots of devotional songs especially for the whole night also. Every day morning he used to sing doing pooja and then he will sing for us to put us to sleep. So even now if I listen any purandarasa songs then it reminds me of my dad.

Now after that my life was kind of ruled by Ilayaraja. The songs like povoma urgolam, agni natchathiram and especially one of the ever green songs are idhu oru ponmalai pozhudu and ilaya nila..And the one song which I used to listen again and again and again is Malaiyil yarooo mandhododu pesa..Well that reminds me of Swarnalatha and I really feel sad that she is no longer with us.

Especially there were some moments of my life with my cousin. There was a movie varusham 16 and one more ullatthai allitha...Those movie songs are like as if dedicated for him kind. He would enjoy those songs and we had gala time making fun of him with those songs. Even now if I listen to those songs the first thing that would come to my mind is the moments we made fun of him and it brings lots of sweet memories.

Somehow mouna ragam and punnagai mannan songs were again as if meant for dancing.We never had a tape recorder at home so we me and my sis used to go to my ammmammas house and used to listen to our favorite songs. Actually that time most of the songs I listened were the ones my uncle used to listen. That is how agni natchathriram, idayatthai tirudadhe movie songs I came to know of :)

Once in college, wow life changed so much. I had good circle of friends and then its always songs songs songs. Every part of life there is some song or other :)
Tuje yaad na meri ayi from kuch kuch hota hai I dont know how many times I had heard that song and same goes to dil to pagal hai..songs...Just not the songs but also the lyrics added meaning to life and giving wild set of dreams as well :)

The first other language song apart from tamil and Hindi I listened to was one malayalam song. Pramadhavanam veendum..I dont know it was all a pure coincidence. I had gone to a casette shop to search for some songs which we could use for chorus singing and also for dance. And in that shop this song was playing. I didnt understand the meaning of it but some how it felt as if I know this song and it touched my heart in a way that I couldnt really understand. So i asked him to record that song and give me. Later we tried to practise it to sing. This definitely was not a chorus song and my friends gave up and I tried a lot many times but couldnt get the first line itself correct. Never knew.


Later I had joined bank and every week I had to travel around 10 hours in bus and my amammama gifted me a walk man. And in the village I stayed though it lacked most of the basic amenities you wont believe there was a recording place where if you give the list of songs they will record and put in a casette. And with nothing much to do, I had spent my days there busy collecting songs and making them into cassettes. I had such a big collections all were like ANUs Favorite 1,2,3 almost around 10 casettes. Wow What a life.

That is when alaipayuthe and dil se had released. I dont know why the yeh ajnabi song seemed so touching and why snehithane song has to bring in so much of feelings when I was in no way in love with anyone at that time. Still it brought in a lots of dreams and lots of expectations in life.

So songs has been always a part of life. What am I writing. This is really not the one I wanted to write. I totally drifted away from the topic.

Yet currently the song am humming is a telugu song which is for the love of my life.

Nuuvvu Nuvvu Nuvve nuvvu from Kadgam. The song and the meaning was WOW.

Let me stop here and hope probably in my next post atleast I could get what I wanted to write.

6 comments:

jai said...

Someone tried to imagine themselves as gowthami when they were singing pramadhamanam and tried dancing too :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

'NUVVU NUVVU' is one of the topmost lyrics of 'Sirivennala'. And one of the toPmost decent romantic songs of alltime as well. If u r lyrically inclined, I know u r, listen to other Sirivennela's. Almost all songs by him r TIMELESS Gems. Dont need a context to appreciate'em. ANYTIME...ANYWAHERE..

Anu said...

Yes. You are right. Can you tell me any other sirivennela's songs.

Anonymous said...

Anitha! If U want more, Try "Sirivennala"(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirivennela) itself ;).. To answer UR query more accurately... check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirivennela_Sitaramasastri ..

Anonymous said...

More informative links below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirivennala_Seetha_Rama_Sastry

If U have learnt reading TELUGU, this is a better site...

http://www.sirivennela-bhavalahari.org/?page_id=2141